|The husband and I in our Blue jays caps|
I just never got into footy...or cricket. Or either type of rugby. I like the tennis, but never felt compelled to do more than follow the results via updates from my husband.
But then we came to Canada and I discovered baseball. Turns out I didn't hate sport, I just hadn't found the right sport to watch.
Since then I've become an avid Blue Jays fan. They're the local team, here in Toronto, and when the whole city supports one team it's a very unifying experience. If you go to the Roger's stadium on game day it's a sea of blue.
Since baseball isn't too big down under, I thought I'd share some fun baseball facts in case you're not aware of what a fun game it is:
- During World War II, the U.S. military designed a grenade to be the size and weight of a baseball, since “any young American man should be able to properly throw it.” (source)
- The earliest known reference to baseball is in a 1744 British publication, A Little Pretty Pocket-Book, by John Newbery. It contains a rhymed description of "base-ball" and a woodcut that shows a field set-up somewhat similar to the modern game. (source)
- The chances of a fan being hit by a baseball are 300,000 to 1 (source)
- The first fully professional baseball team was the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings. (source)
- Charlie Sheen Once Bought 2,615 Tickets to a Major League Baseball Game so He Could Improve His Odds of Catching a Home Run Ball (source)
- The world’s largest publicly available collection of baseball cards is housed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It has over 31,000. (source)
Have you ever watched or play baseball before? If not, whats your favourite sport?